Latest Event Updates
Below are links to several of the presentations that we had on Saturday. If you presented and you wouldn’t mind adding your slides/documentation here please send us your info! Thanks again to everyone who presented at SpeedCon 2014!
Another SpeedCon in the books and it was a good one! We had a bunch of great presentations including two highly entertaining keynotes, and a yummy lunch and sweet door prizes provided by our vendors. Thanks again to everyone who came out and helped make SpeedCon 2014 possible, whether by presenting, sponsoring, or just being there to take it all in. We’re so grateful!
Two follow-up items to address. If you were a presenter and you had some slides or some helpful notes that you wouldn’t mind sharing please email them to us (Sarah Egan Warren or Jen Riehle) so we can add them to the website. We’d like to make these resources available for anyone who’s interested!
We also love to get feedback on our event. What worked, what didn’t, what was missing, what did you totally love?? We’ve made our evaluation available online; please go fill it out and give us some thoughts on what to aim for next year!
Thanks again to all our participants and we look forward to seeing you again next year!
11:00am: Schedule published (Auditorium)
11:15am: Session 1
- Pecha Kucha (T&V)
- DITA for Three (Creativity South)
- Guitars & Neon Signs: Musician Work in the Digital Era (Creativity North)
12:00pm: Session 2
- Effective Video Planning and Design for Web-based Learning (T&V)
- What Makes Communication Work in a Crisis (Creativity South)
- Interview Techniques (Creativity North)
12:30-1:45pm: FREE Lunch and Networking at The Oval
1:45: Session 3
- Making Arguments: How to Better Prepare New Writers (T&V)
- Peer Grading — Running a MOOC — Learning Analytics and Data Visualizations (Creativity South)
2:30pm: Session 4
- Inforgraphics! (T&V)
- Fork, Pull, Push: Collaboration with Github (Creativity South)
- Blindspot: Cognitive Science for Public Officials (Creativity North)
3:15pm: Session 5
- Fundamentals of Communication – in Online Dating (T&V)
- Technical Communication in Agile Environments (Creativity South)
- The CZC Bubble & its Extension Through Social Media (Creativity North)
4:00pm: Door Prizes and Closing Session from Dr. Wade Newhouse (Auditorium)
A few last-minute notes for tomorrow’s SpeedCon:
Location and Parking
The event will be on NC State’s Centennial Campus in the new Hunt Library. The address is:
1070 Partners Way
Campus Box 7132
Raleigh, NC 27606
Parking is free and available in a lot directly across the street from the library. If the lot fills up there is a deck immediately adjacent which is also free to use.
As a reminder, lunch is included during the event. We’ll be at The Oval, an on-campus dining location a few hundred yards away from the library – easy walking distance. They’ll be serving a catered lunch with sandwiches (including a veggie option), chips, fruit, and dessert. We’ll have ice, water, and canned sodas available to drink.
The day will begin at 9:30am with an overview of the unconference concept and what to expect. Shortly after that we’ll begin “pitching” topics to be presented for the day. While our opening keynote, David Kroll, is talking to the attendees, a few of the organizers will dash off to put together the day’s schedule based on all the topics that were proposed. Once David is done we’ll announce the schedule, post it to the website, and begin the day of sessions!
We’ll take an hour-long break for lunch and a tour of the Hunt Library will be available for anyone interested in learning more about the space. After a few more afternoon sessions we’ll wrap-up with some kick-ass door prizes and another keynote from our favorite improv player, Wade Newhouse.
AND we have more sessions that have been proposed…
- The CZC (Comfort Zone Camp) Bubble and Its Extension Through Social Media
- Fork, Commit, Push: Collaborating with Github
- How a Band Gets Discovered: A Communications Perspective
- Fundamentals of Communication… for Online Dating
- Running A MOOC: On the Potential of Algorithmic Massive Open Online Courses
- Pecha Kucha for Classrooms, Conferences, and Meetings
- The Info on Infographics (presented with graphics)
- Effective Video Planning & Design for Web-Based Learning
- DITA for Three
- Blindspot: Cognitive Science for Law-makers
Looks like it’s going to be a great event! Hope to see you tomorrow!
Thanks to our sponsors we are actually able to fly in the face of convention and offer that rare and precious gift: a free lunch!
We’ll be taking a break around 12:30pm or so to wander just a few hundred yards across the courtyard to NC State’s dining establishment, The Oval. The Oval will be serving us a catered lunch with sandwiches (including a veggie option), chips, fruit, and dessert. We’ll have ice, water, and canned sodas available to drink. We get our own space to spread out, chat, and network while we eat, and we’ll have about an hour to relax and enjoy the meal.
Hope to see you there and don’t forget to thank all our sponsors and The Oval for hosting us!
So in case you haven’t heard, SpeedCon is an unconference. This means that our attendees will also be our content providers. We need you! Come with past presentations, passion projects, industry insights, or simply interesting topics you want to have a conversation about.
If you’re thinking about talking, but looking for inspiration, we have the schedule from past years online to give you an idea of some of our past subjects: 2011, 2012. We also have a few topics that have already been proposed for this year previewed in the sidebar. (Pst! Over there to the right!)
Don’t forget, we have some really beautiful spaces to work with and present in at the Hunt Library. It’s certainly not required that you come with a presentation, however if you would like to make your presentation utilize the spaces to their best effect, we have information on the screen sizes that you should use for your presentations below. That being said, ANY presentation can still be displayed!
- Creativity South: 3568 x 1080px
- Creativity North: 3614 x 1080px
- Teach & Virtualization Lab: Presentation screens use standard widescreen, 16:9
SpeedCon is excited to have Progress Software as a sponsor for SpeedCon 2014!
Progress Software is a public company headquartered in Bedford, MA, with an office locally in Morrisville, NC. Progress makes application development products, including an on on-premise application development platform, a cloud platform as a service, database connectivity drivers, data connectivity as a service, and an application platform as a service.
Progress is providing us with a superb selection of door prizes and other giveaways for our attendees. We’re supremely grateful to have Progress supporting us; SpeedCon could not happen without the generosity of our community companies!