On Friday, April 7, the officers of the MSTC student group, TCA, partnered with the Industrial Systems Engineering student group, ISE GSA, to co-host a graduate student professional development opportunity.
Entitled So you think you can present?, this event featured Arthur Berger giving a presentation on how to give technical engineering presentations (very meta, he knows), followed by an interactive workshop wherein the ISE students got to work one-on-one with MSTC students to improve their forthcoming class projects, presentations, and defenses. We had an enthusiastic crowd of about 20 engineers and technical communicators gather together to learn more about aspects of oral communication and discuss best practices. Food and prizes rounded out the evening. See more pictures of the event on our Facebook or Instagram accounts!
About the Student Groups
The ISE GSA serves all the graduate students in the Edward P. Fitts Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering by representing, providing an open forum for discussion, disseminating information of interest, and fostering unity amongst students through seminars, social gatherings, and other activities like this Speedtalk.
The Technical Communication Association (TCA) impacts the educational value that local NC State students receive by promoting better technical communication skills through a variety of social, academic, and professional opportunities. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, WordPress, and our TCA website!
We look forward to working more closely with ISE and other technical, scientific, and engineering student groups on campus!
Special thanks to the following people:
- First and foremost, to all our attendees, thanks for coming and sharing your research with us!
- To the ISE GSA, especially Lena Abu-El-Haija and Sidd Nambiar, for collaborating with our student group—tech commers and engineering SMEs make a great team!
- To TCA Officer Rachael Graham for coordinating the opportunity to work with ISE
- To TCA Officer Arthur Berger for his presentation on presentations
- To TCA Officers Nikita Apraj, Chris Sanchez, and Jiaxin Zhang for their help with the event
- To the NC State GSA for funding the event under a block grant, and especially to the Treasurer, Freddy, for his unflagging guidance
- To the NC State Student Involvement Center for allowing us to reserve their wonderful facilities and helping us set up the A/V equipment
- The the NC State English Department, for its continuous support of its students